Only Jesus

Our wedding photo, April 2000. (I had to cover the photo with a piece of paper because my shoulders are bare).

Marriages’ only hope is Jesus Christ. I’ve found that out first-hand.

Two years before we received the Lord’s offer of salvation and surrendered our whole lives to Him, my husband and I were living separate lives. A few months after we had our first baby, we separated. Ours was not the absence of love, but the presence of gigantic, painful differences that eventually took over our married life, and love was buried under the rubble of our crumbled dreams. Our marriage was helpless in the absence of a savior.

For me, the words that describe best the Lord’s great mercy are these:

“Father, forgive them; FOR THEY KNOW NOT WHAT THEY DO.” (Luke 23:34, emphasis added)

It’s so liberating to know that the Lord Jesus Christ sums up all our mistakes, wrong decisions, wickedness, and SINS, into one simple reason: WE KNOW NOT WHAT WE DO. Ignorant. Knowing nothing. No, not the truth. Foolish.

We knew not what we did, for we were blind, deaf, lame, crippled. We were totally blind to the truth. We were deaf, not knowing and hearing God’s voice. Lame, crippled, not knowing how to walk uprightly.

But when the great mercies of the Lord reached us, our hearts and minds were opened, we embraced the truth, and our souls were restored. Our lives were redeemed. For from the gates of hell, the Lord Jesus Christ mightily snatched us away, and set us firmly on the Rock. The King of kings and the Lord of lords – He is mighty to save!

Our family was restored. Our marital problems that seemed impossible to be resolved, the Lord blew them all away. For God’s salvation ENCOMPASSES ALL. It brings complete forgiveness and teaches us to forgive others, too.

Those two years that my husband and I were estranged and our days were spent in pursuing our own separate sinful pleasures, and the rest of our old lives, were ALL buried in baptism. We came out as new creations, all the old things have passed away – gone for good, and He made ALL THINGS NEW for us (2 Cor. 5:17).

True, in the day-to-day, there are conflicts and struggles, but we have learned to BRING THEM ALL to the feet of Jesus. We pray for them. Prayer: it’s the MOST EFFECTIVE and best remedy for any and every problem. Prayers and the Word, these are the ones that REALLY HELP. Yes, not with all the marriage counseling books and self-help books combined.

We water, God gives the increase (1 Cor. 3:7). So, we water our lives with constant prayers (sometimes with fasting), with songs of praise and worship sung unto Him, and with His Word dwelling richly in us. And the Lord gives the increase – increase of our love, patience, kindness, wisdom, peace, joy, harmony. And the increase of spiritual power and strength to walk humbly before God and live a life of holiness.

Surrender your life and marriage to the Lord Jesus Christ. He alone has the power to turn them around.

Related posts: Marriage Needs More: 5 Points for a Stronger Marriage

You might also like my “Powerful Prayers” series:

Linking to Women Living Well, Raising Homemakers, Spiritual Sundays

Comments

1. Crystal Mary says:

This as a beautiful testimony, I am so glad you shared it!! This is what turns people back to know, “For with Christ all things are possible.” I am very happy for you both.. You look beautiful!!!
    So happy, WONDERFUL!!

Dear Mary,

Thank you! That photo was taken 11 years ago – the beauty in my life now comes from serving the Lord :-).
      Have a wonderful week ahead.

2. Ginger says:

I pray that all marriages would have the Lord in the middle of them. I’m so glad that the both of you decided to follow Jesus together.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

3. Charlotte says:

Thank you for sharing this wonderful testimony. It’s amazing what God can do when we give Him control of our lives and our marriages.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

4. Pamela says:

Beautiful…Oh that other young people would see what Christ wants to do for their marriages. My heart aches at the pain they bestow on each other and their children. Share your testimony each time you have opportunity. God uses what is the most painful to us.

Thanking God for your miracle.
    Pamela

Yes, the Lord has been tremendously good to us, I can’t even describe it enough. This is our precious testimony and we do share it in every opportunity that we get. Thank you and may you have a blessed week.

5. This is an amazing testimony! Still praying for my restoration but I know it’s on the way!

6. Gina says:

Beautiful testimony!! So inspiring!! Thanks for sharing and More Power!!

7. Casey N. says:

This is a nice testimony, however, I don’t think Jesus needs to be at the center of a marriage for it to succeed. He is definitely not the center of my marriage. I don’t want him to be either! My husband is a very devout Catholic. I am not! I have many doubts about my faith. I would rather keep God out of my life for now! He does not appear so wonderful in my eyes…

Hi Casey. That is most unfortunate. My heart sank when I read your comment. Whatever the reason, I won’t judge you. But you know what? I believe that it is the hand of God who directed you to my blog so that you’ll know Him more, that He is a God who is MERCIFUL and loves you, REALLY, no matter the reason why you want Him out of your life now. I earnestly hope and pray that you will COME BACK here to read more about Him as He speaks to you through my testimonies.

I love you but the Lord Jesus loves you more (teary). I pray that one day YOU WILL COME TO KNOW THAT TRUTH.

Rina

• Casey N. says:

Rina,
        Thank you for your prompt reply. You are a very sweet, and kind woman. . Please don’t be sad on my account.
        I find that there are many online bloggers who are followers of Christ. I was very surprised to see how many in fact.
        Do I think God is directing me? No I don’t. He did speak once to me last year. I was upset by a story on Facebook. I heard a deep voice within and I was instantly calm. My feelings towards him have not changed.
        I disagree that God is merciful. I say that because of all the horrible things that happen in this world. Good, innocent people are taken away and animals suffer unspeakable acts of cruelty. How can a merciful God allow that? That is why I have little faith.

I can’t blame you, Casey. Indeed, these things can’t be answered in just a few lines. I’ve been suffering from my illness for over 9 years now. God took all my health and strength at the height of my career, and from that day on, I was unable to work. For years, everyday felt like it was the end. I wanted to rest my suffering body, but I fought on because of my children that were still young. I held on to Him, wrestled with complaints and bitterness and anything that could dishonor God. For I realized that He made me and therefore, He could do to me whatever He pleased. Did I think that He seemed to be NOT merciful and NOT kind? Yes, I did, not just a few times, I believe.

But you see, before I became ill, I was wallowing in the miry clay (committing adultery, to be exact). Do I think now that God is unmerciful, unkind, indifferent, cold, unloving, cruel? He’s the exact opposite! For we can never fathom the depth of His love! He works in mysterious ways. He almost took my life so that I COULD HAVE A BETTER ONE, one that’s eternal.

Why does He allow the deaths of innocent children? I’ve read articles that in North America, some schools prohibit Bibles, the name of the Lord Jesus Christ being spoken, and even prayers. If His people do not want to have anything to do with Him, He will let them, just like the criminal to His right at the cross. But the one on His other side received instant salvation because he received Him. How can God protect His people from the works of the devil when we don’t allow Him into our lives, schools, land?