A Deeper Understanding of “Resting in the Lord”

I had been reading Christian books and devotional blogs mentioning the oft-quoted phrase “rest in the Lord”, but it was just very recently that I had a real grasp of it. I mean, it is easy to say it but what does “rest in the Lord” really mean? After the truth has sunk in my soul, I realized that “resting in the Lord” could feel very risky and scary. These are the things involved: risk and fear. That’s because we had been taught to rely on visible things rather than on the invisible God. But to truly rest in the Lord is to spurn these, to let go of these in exchange of plunging oneself at the feet of God, trusting completely in His mercy.

I don’t know how deep or trying your reason to choose to rest in the Lord is, but as for me, I took inventory of the years that I “rested in the Lord”, and I came to realize that to truly rest in the Lord is to believe that He can help, save, and deliver in the MOST urgent need. It involves a REAL belief, so real you could almost touch and taste it. That kind of belief is the seat of trust.

Because you truly believe, then you can trust, and therefore, you can rest.

There is no true rest when there is a shadow of doubt in your belief of a true and living God, a breathing, seeing, moving, fast-acting God – an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent God.

I had wrestled with death not just a few times, and I remember my beloved husband offering to bring me to the hospital or buy me an oxygen tank at least. It was truly scary but I had always chosen to rest in God instead during those fear-filled walks through the valley of the shadow of death. I believed that the commotion that would be brought about by calling an ambulance, transferring me into it, the nurses milling about, the panic, the anxiety-filled trip to the hospital and then the hustle and bustle of the emergency room would be more than enough to stop my breath altogether.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. (Psalm 23:4, emphasis added)

So, I always chose to rest in God, keeping my body as still as I could as I trusted in Him to save me, to deliver me to the next breath and heartbeat and to the next, until He brings recovery. I would keep still as an electric fan blew hard on my face, thinking hard about the Lord Jesus. When things were better, I even sang praises in my mind. He is a VERY PRESENT HELP in times of great need.

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. (Psalm 46:1)

And though the flesh is weak and perishes, there is rest for the soul (Mat. 11:29). That is what resting in the Lord brings – rest for the soul.

When illness, suffering, difficulties, anguish, confusion, fear, weakness, worry overwhelm, I rest in His Word. His Word enlightens me, strengthens and comforts me. The Word is God (John 1:1).

To rest in God is His will for us. To be still in His presence and be confident in Him and His power are what He truly wants us to be. He has counselled us about this long time ago, that when we rest in Him, He will save and strengthen us (Is. 30:15). But the world had taught us to run elsewhere to get help. We had learned to rely on tangible things to quieten our souls and momentarily bring peace to our minds, not quite grasping the truth about God and what He is able to do. For with God all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)

Friend, are you looking for rest for your weary soul? Rest for your sick body or unquiet mind? The Lord Jesus is bidding you. He says, “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.” (Mat. 10:28)

Photo courtesy of my friend Myriss Torres.
I’m linked up with other blogs, please check the list at the side bar.

Comments

1. You saying that your new understanding that to rest in the Lord is a fearful and dangerous thing makes perfect sense. Rest does not necessarily mean relax.

Mrs. P., your comments always make me dig deeper into the subject. In this case, I see that I failed to follow through that sentence as to why resting in God involves danger and fear. It’s because we were taught to trust in visible things rather than in the invisible, all-powerful God.

2. Olivia says:

Oh, how I need to rest in him as we wait to be chosen for a domestic adoption!
    Today I wrote about praying my friend’s son Kervens home from Haiti. I made a button to encourage others to pray. Would you consider posting the button on your site?
    Thanks!

3. Oh it is so hard for us to rest in Him, isn’t it? But that is where our true joy fills us and gives us strength. Wonderful post, sweetie!

4. Ann says:

Beautiful!!! And so VERY true!!! Resting in Christ alone isn’t easy. It takes intentionally committing all our pain, suffering, worry, and struggles unto Him, with all our hearts, minds, and souls! But, Oh, what a relief it is!! Blessings, my friend!!

In His Lo♥e, Ann @ Christ in the Clouds

5. Gina says:

Yes it’s true my friend Sis. Rina!!! it could be very fearful and risky if we see or consider that “resting in the LORD” rely on all those tangible things and not on our GOD, our invisible GOD….Just last night HE made me realized that HE is always with me in times of NEED, HIS mercy is always present in times of trouble… HE is my STRENGTH, my POWER, my LIFE….tnx again for the post…GOD BLESS

6. Mrs. Woods says:

Thank you ! I was reminded of Christ finished work and I was once again encouraged!

7. Keisha says:

I am so used to handle things, figuring things out and fixing things. Me, me, me….. the fixer. I am currently faced with a situation that I can do absolutely nothing about, other than trust God. Since the situation unfolded, I’ve been told to – be still and know that I am God; stand still and see the salvation of Lord; rest in God; and stand still and watch the Lord rescue you today. And so far I’m failing. Thank you for your article about resting in God, because before reading this I was clueless. I am printing this article and plan to refer to it whenever my heart feels troubled. Thank you again!

I praise God for enlightening you with this post, Keisha. Truly trusting and resting in the Lord really takes time and maturity in the faith. We grow in our faith through the trials and how we handle them. We handle them not through grit and our own strength and understanding but through our complete surrender to God and His power to help and deliver us.

• LISA walker says:

Thank you for this site on rest GOD KEEP TELLING ME TO REST AND I’M DOING EVERYTHING BUT THAT SO GLAD I COULD READ THIS SITE IT HELP ME A WHOLE LOT PRAISE GOD FOR YOU AND I PRAY YOU WILL CONTINUE TO BE A LIGHT FOR THE ALMIGHTY GOD.

8. Tamika says:

I have been really blessed by your blog. Recently I was told to rest in God. I didn’t truly understand in its fullness. Now I do :-) Thank you for sharing your journey with Jesus.

9. reuben sng says:

Thanks for the message. Truly He is faithful to His words and promises. Praise the Almighty. Amen Amen Amen.

10. Kat says:

I’m so grateful to come across your blog! I’ve been dealing with deep depression and anxiety for years. The last couple of years, I’ve experienced oppression through spiritual attacks. I had my last spiritual attack yesterday. My Christian counselor has told me to rest in the Lord, for a few years now. I finally realized that I had NO CLUE what that meant; what it looked like; what needs to be done or not done…to rest in the Lord.

I just know that it’s been too long that I’ve gone without joy, peace or happiness for too long. Anytime I have experienced them, they’ve been fleeting because I know an attack is just around the corner.

I appreciate your sharing what it means and I hope I can truly have faith, with no doubt, to rest. My family has been through so much and we love God through Jesus Christ….so much. IT’s hard to focus on worship and praise when darkness is constantly looming.

Thank you so much for your blog and for explaining how resting in the Lord, looks like to you. It’s a gift from God.

God bless you through out your journey with Him.

Kat, I know where you’re coming from. For years, too, I struggled with utter fearfulness and nervousness where the enemy attacked me relentlessly but I clung to the Lord all the more tightly. I immersed myself in His Word and presence through praise and worship and prayers. One day, it just disappeared and peace and joy came to lodge in my heart and mind. So, don’t give up! The Lord will deliver you!

11. ann Nash says:

“I always wanted revelation on how to rest in the Lord. I believe this is my appointed time to rest in the Lord.”
    Thakyou for your faithfulness . In Jesus Name Amen.

12. matthew says:

Thanks for your thoughts here. As I am working on some teaching around this topic for sunday.

13. mercia bassue says:

Praise the Lord I was wondering what it truly means to rest in the Lord

14. Barbara P says:

Rina, I thank the Lord for directing me to your blog. I have been so Encouranged and Empowered and Blessed..words can not express how I feel. ..all I can say is Thank you Jesus!!! I know God placed you here to fullfil your purpose that He had for you at this time in your life…
    Continue to let the Lord Have His way the Best is yet to come. God bless you!

15. Victoria says:

The command to “rest in the Lord” is kinda tough to understand and is often misinterpreted, isn’t it.
    Your post, Miss Rina, has done wonders to clarify it for me. Often I have asked myself how to do it. Then trying to do it becomes a ‘works’ activity .. the exact opposite of what it means! Such a conundrum. The Adversary just sits back and laughs because
    Banish worry, fear, stress and anxiety. How? Good question. After reading your post, I realize it is not a struggle, but is something I have actually done several times in my life without trying to do so. (LOL)
    Trying is the same as struggling.
    When a tornado was swirling outside of our house on the cul-de-sac, I said to my dogs, “God is more powerful than any old storm, come on let’s go to bed.” Several hours later the doorbell rang and the fire department wanted to know if I was alright. I told them that yes, of course we were fine. He told me that mine was the last house that was hit by the tornado before it crossed the road and entered the lake. He had me step out and see that some of the houses were demolished and all the others were heavily damaged. There were no casualties, but some were hospitalized from fear and stress. He argued with me that my house had been hit. I maintained that I didn’t think so and told him that we were asleep. the next day a friend check my roof and found a little hole and repaired it quickly.
    Declaring the almighty power of God is the way to ‘rest in the Lord.’
    Similar situations occurred when I was hospitalized for two surgeries. I declared that God was all powerful and in control. Each surgeon declared that the surgeries were like none they had seen and agreed that they were ‘miraculously rare.’
    Resting in the Lord is natural and powerful and the only way to eliminate fear from our lives. You cannot argue with Omnipotence, Omnipresence and Omniscience. God is ALL and Christ is The Way.
    God Bless
    Victoria

16. Elmore Moss says:

Simply thank you!

17. Linda Stevens says:

Thank you Rina. Spot on. Come and rest in the Lord, In the the presence of the Lord.
    Be still and know that I am God.

18. Chrisse woods says:

19. Mary Ann says:

So true. Resting is believing that His Grace will also give us His Ability to Rest. God is Faithful. God bless you.

20. Gail Brown says:

Feeling a little anxious today, my husband says look up the meaning of the word relax , then see what Jesus says about relax, after reading the definition of r, I happen to find this reading, which was helpful, t gang God he knows how to RELAX us. Amen I’m plunging myself at the feel of JESUS

21. Olas Sanusi says:

Amazing and very practical. Love it.

May God grant you complete and perfect deliverance because you have set your love upon Him.

Trackbacks

1. […] There are so many areas of our lives right now that are in process, you know, unfinished. Not unstable;  just not completed. Never in our life together have my husband and I been on the verge of so many major life moves. Add to them family concerns like wishing, wanting and trying to figure out how to spend more time with those not living nearby. Add to that several major life decisions that we are  still discerning the best choices and God’s leading. If I try to “manage” them, it is a daunting and discouraging task. We are definitely out in deeper waters and the dog-paddling of years past is NOT working!  We are learning to float. To lean. To let our feet fail. […]