The Lord’s Imminent Coming {and Why I Will Not Play}

Everyday, I receive notifications about invitations to play games on Facebook. I have been wondering why I keep getting them despite my totally ignoring them. I receive invitations to all kinds of virtual games including gambling (this I had managed to totally block; the rest of the invites, I just ignore them), and I am wondering how I can put an end to this.

I will not play because I believe it is just futile, unprofitable. I will not play because I just.don’t.like.IT! And there’s more (for the benefit of those who do not stop to invite me to play):

I will not play because I think the hours that I am awake are not enough to do the following:

Read and study the Bible.

Praise, worship, pray.

Write posts that encourage and inspire.

Share the Gospel online and to family and friends.

Read good Christian books.

Plan meals and cook for the family.

Discuss the Word with the kids and assist them in reading the Bible and good books.

Play with the kids and spend joyous time with them.

Tend my family, our home, have sweet, tender moments with husband.

For the woman approved by God watches over the ways of her household, and does not eat the bread of idleness. (Prov. 31:27)

And if ever I find idle moments (and I do find idle moments due to my health condition), I will not play, but rather:

I will rest while listening to praise music.

I will study my piles of new cook books.

I will birdwatch in the garden and photograph them if I’m lucky.

I will enjoy a freshly-baked muffin (or bread, or cake, or cookie…) with milk tea.

I will edit photos and make posters with verses or my own quotations using PicMonkey to share on FB.

And if maybe I have done all of the above and I still find time to spare, I will stare at the Narra tree, or listen to the rustling of the leaves swaying with the gentle breeze, or marvel at the afternoon sun’s rays as they bathe the wild orchid clinging on the palm tree with their golden glow…and ponder on the goodness of God and praise Him for His beautiful creation!

I will not play because the Lord Jesus is coming any time soon and I want that He will find me watching and praying.

Take heed, watch and pray; for you do not know when the time is. (Matt. 13:33)

I will not play because, before the Lord ascended to heaven, He charged the disciples (and all who will follow after them throughout the generations) to go to the ends of the earth and preach the Gospel to all people. (He did not send them to play unprofitable games). So, this is really what I desire and pray for: to go and tell the unsaved about the Good News.

Because you have kept My command to persevere, I also will keep you from the hour of trial which shall come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth. 11 Behold, I am coming quickly! Hold fast what you have, that no one may take your crown. (Rev. 3:10-11, emphasis added)

I will not play because I want to be like the five wise virgins whose lamps they kept on burning no matter how long it took for the bridegroom to come. But, behold, He’s coming quickly! And I want that my lamp is constantly burning for my Savior as I watch closely for His imminent coming.

My gratitude list ~ the things I’m thankful to the Lord for. Continuing to count His blessings:

76. This book I’m currently reading that’s blessing me.

77. The amazing testimonies I heard again on Sunday worship service which really blessed me beyond words, esp. the one from a mother and son (I hope to be able to write about it at Minister of Mercy).

78. My beloved husband and our friendship

79. Playing in the garden with the family

80. For the afternoon sun that bathes the garden with its golden glow.

I’m linking up with these lovely blogs.

Comments

1. Joanie Qualls says:

I agree, terrific. Bless you, In Jesus Christ, Y’eshua ha Mashciah’ s name.

2. Yes, many, perhaps even Christians, will be doing something not quite so, Christian when He comes like that thief in the night. I can’t tell you of how many people I know who can recite every intimate detail of their favorite sports/entertainment star, or their favorite team but haven’t but the scantest knowledge of the Holy Bible. Who to them to waste the valuable time they have been blessed with. Your brother in Christ, Rick

True, Rick. Yes, even so-called Christians immerse themselves into unprofitable entertainment, things that cannot prosper their faith and service to God. Very saddening fact.

3. Amy says:

I guess I have a different definition of play than you do. While I agree that spending too much time on frivolous entertainment does no one any good – God is a God of Joy and being playful and having fun are good things – blessings from Him. Playing with kids and friends build relationships and builds the community of God here on Earth. Play also helps us to de-stress so that after our play time we can return with greater zeal and focus to the tasks set out for us. Even God took time off to rest, and encourages us to do likewise – and if playing is restful and helpful to someone – I say go for it! So while I share your basic concern, I think your post has gone beyond reasonable thoughtfulness regarding our relationship with entertainment and into the realm many would consider condemnation and legalism.

Thank you for your comments, Amy, but I’m afraid you’ve misunderstood what I had written. In the post, I was talking about PLAYING VIRTUAL GAMES ON FACEBOOK (and all other video/computer games, though I did not mention this) and that was on the first paragraph. Our family plays a lot together: we carouse inside the house and in the garden. There’s a lot of fun, robust laughing and joy involved and that is REAL JOY, NOT VIRTUAL. You might have missed it, but in my gratitude list below the post, I thanked God for the time to play with the family. What you said in your comments are not accurate with regard to what I had written :(.

I wrote that playing virtual games, for me, is futile, unprofitable. But I DID NOT WRITE that playing with the kids (which I love doing), the dogs, the rabbits (which we have a lot in our garden and I enjoy watching them dart here and there), or the toddler-neighbor (which I love photographing and talking to). Our family plays scrabble, chess, play tent, etc. and these acts all contribute to the fortifying of our love for each other and feeling the “joy of the Lord”. As we play and have clean fun in reality (not with the computer), our hearts are filled with thanksgiving to God for the pure pleasures He gives us every now and then.

I wish you read the whole post carefully.

4. Charlotte says:

First of all, I adore all the lovely photos you post. And you are right. Time is short and we should not waste it foolishly. I know by experience those computer games can become addictive. You are wise to avoid them. Thank you for being faithful in sharing your experiences and wisdom with us on Spiritual Sundays.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

Thank you, dear Charlotte! Exactly, THOSE computer games could easily become addictive and it’s wise to shun them completely. Blessings!

5. Ally says:

An inspiring amd challenging post. I am not on Facebook, so I don’t have to put up with those kinds of invitations, but the real world outside the computer is full of enough distraction as it is. I, too, believe in the imminence of Jesus’ return. It is very close. I believe it will occur soon, and that we will be the points who do not sleep, but shall be changed in the twinkling of an eye. Maranatha! Come Lord Jesus!

Amen! Amen! Amen! I love your words, Ally! Thank you for your fervency and encouragement! True, in the world outside the computer there are lots of distractions, too. Maranatha: Come, Lord Jesus!

6. Court says:

I must admit I dearly love games but I’ve been aware of the danger of ‘escaping’ in them and for Lent I’ve avoided them and have been delighted with all this time to read, study, pray and fellowship!

The Lord bless you for acknowledging this “escaping” into virtual games and for starting to make the sacrifice of avoiding them. I pray that even after Lent the Lord will lead you completely away from it and escape to His presence instead whenever you feel like passing the time.

7. Wonderful post. I came here from Inspire me Monday, and found out that your blog and mine have similar names, coincidence? I don´t think so, I´ve been reading your inspiring posts for a while and they resonate deeply with me, I have specially loved this one. Thanks for sharing your wisdom, I feel blessed, I will follow you xx

Hi Zena. It’s good that we all have our own “healing moments” :). Thank you for appreciating my writings – it encouraged me! Blessings!