Arise from the Heaps!

Meditating on Psalm 97:

The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad;
let the distant shores rejoice.

The mountains melt like wax before the Lord,
before the Lord of all the earth.
The heavens proclaim his righteousness,
and all peoples see his glory. (Ps. 97: 1, 5, 6 NIV)

When you are feeling sad and low and don’t know how to proceed, when inspiration and encouragement elude you and bright hope seems to fade farther and farther away in the distance, read Psalm 97 and meditate on it. It will remind you that we have a God whose power is unsurpassed, that He does wondrous things in heaven and on earth. It will speak to you that our God, the living God, is sovereign – the Most High over all the earth; …exalted far above all gods (v. 9), and He reigns in our lives. And that He is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us (Eph. 3:20 NIV).

That there is no reason to grow faint and lose faith for righteousness and justice are the foundation of his throne (v. 2). And He will deliver us from whatever it is that is weighing down on us: illness, problems, sorrow, weariness, fears… these foes of ours. He will make them His own and consume them on every side (v. 3). For he guards the lives of his faithful ones and delivers them from the hand of the wicked (v. 10).

Oh friend, there’s no reason to mope and wallow in self-pity or discouragement! Arise! The heavens proclaim his righteousness (v. 6) – He will do us good! Open your spiritual eyes to see His glory! Arise! Remember all His marvellous miracles and wondrous deeds! Thank Him for His past lovingkindnesses and tender mercies and rejoice in Him. For this is His will for us. Then we will see His love moving mightily once again in our lives!

Light shines on the righteous
and joy on the upright in heart. (v. 11)

I might be linking up with these lovely blogs.

Comments

1. Hi Rina. I LOVE your picture!
    Yesterday, a friend of mine emailed me Jeremiah 32:40-41 (NIV). Verse 41 Says “I will rejoice in doing them good and will assuredly plant them in this land with all my heart and soul.”
    As you say, He WILL do us good. God is so good, even when things around us look bleak, He’s still with us.

P.S. Do you have music playing in the background? :)

Thank you, Una! Yes, there’s a music player at the bottom of the side bar. It plays David Neveu’s piano :).

2. Great post! :)

3. Your site is so peaceful, thank you for creating a space for faith & healing.

I write at Creatively Redeeming Her (www.creativelyredeemingher.blogspot.com), would love your presence there!

Cheers, Rachel

Thank you, Rachel. I’m glad that you find my site peaceful and conducive for healing :). I’ll be going over to your “place”.

4. Sharon says:

What a wonderful encouragement to start the week! Thank you!

Don’t we all need encouragement, Sharon. Grateful to the Lord for using our simple attempts to encourage one another!

5. Ren says:

Love love love this post!

6. Beautiful photo – it makes me ready for Spring here. We’ve had snow showers today – and while I LOVE snow – I think I’m ready for green and blossoms and warmth. Thank you for your encouragement – such warm, true words – I always need those:)

Bougainvilleas bloom all year round in this part of the globe :). And since it’s a tropical country, we long for a shower of snow, too! We all need encouragement every now and then.

7. Christina says:

Scripture is a healing balm, isn’t it? Thanks for pointing to God’s amazing power. He is good.

“Scripture is a healing balm” ~ Amen, Christina! He is all-powerful and ALWAYS good! We need those reminders often.

8. Laura says:

That photo is just gorgeous, Rina. And this is such good advice. I find the Psalms are a balm for most anything. I will remember 97 next time I am feeling down and think of you.

Thank you, Laura. It’s a photo of an overhanging branch of our bougainvillea. I wrote this post at a moment when I generally felt sad and weary and couldn’t think of ways to lift myself up. Then I read Psalm 97 and it spoke to me. And I was fine :).

9. Ann says:

Thanks for sharing this Psalm, Rina! I really needed this encouragement this week! Have a blessed Easter, my friend!
    In His Love, Ann