The Gift of R & W

There is R&R (Rest and Recreation), and then there is R&W (Reading and Writing). At this time in my life, trials and all, whenever I read about friends’ and acquaintances’ stories of their R&R, sadness floods my heart. Rest I have in abundance, with accompanying discomforts, but resting in the Lord is another thing which I’m also blessed to experience. But recreation like the world defines it? Traveling and doing fun, great things that are exhilarating? I have not. Unless I count reading and writing as recreations, then, the Lord has made me rich in those areas.

(image from Google)

He has given me words.

Just after I received the Lord Jesus Christ as my Savior and slowly learned to surrender my life to Him, I had someone wipe out my book shelves and dump all the books into sacks and burned. Those were books about different religions, even strange ones, about psychology, diverse philosophies, beliefs, and new kinds of spirituality. Even if I wasn’t an expert in the Bible, I knew then that my “speculations” on these strange teachings and spirituality were wrong. They had not led me to the way of truth, but if they ever had done something, that was to lead me astray, be more confused than ever, and even gave me the license and justification to continue with my distorted personal life.

During the first few years after I received salvation, and as I battled the threats of death brought by my sickness, I only held and read the Word. During most of the day, as long as strength allowed it, I read chapter after chapter of God’s Word, like my life depended on it. And it did. It still does.

I plowed through verse upon verse, passage upon passage, diligently searching God’s words, His promises, for me to gain understanding, and I held onto them for hope, strength, wisdom, and healing.

…The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life. (John 6:63)

I also received gifts from beloved sisters in Christ, Christian devotional books and inspirational ones. I then learned to read outside of my Holy Bible, but being extra careful with what I read. These books brought deeper insights, widened my knowledge and understanding of the Lord Jesus and His teachings, inspired and enriched me in my walk of faith.  I started to buy books again with diligent caution. Twice I bought Kindle books that promised to be excellent Christian reads, but when I found out that they taught a doctrine different from what I had received, I shut them without second thoughts and never opened them again. After this, the more I became extra cautious.

Do not be carried about with various and strange doctrines. For it is good that the heart be established by grace… (Heb. 13:9)

Additional reading for you? Why not. Rabbits, Summer Reading, and Some Tear-shedding

Writing as God’s Calling

Around 2008 or 2009, I was sitting at our main door, forlorn and not feeling well, doing nothing but a lot of thinking. Suddenly a still small voice whispered, “Cheer up! Later, you will write about the birds that flutter in the trees and how comforting to watch them as they dart from one branch to another.” But I didn’t know where to send my essays and I didn’t know about this thing called blogging then, so they just stayed in my mind.

I love to write. Always have. When I was in grade school, I kept notebooks where I wrote poems. I wrote poems until I was already a career girl. I was editor-in-chief of our school paper in high school called The Far West, and later on in college, called The ChE Pipeline. But I didn’t pursue writing. I became a chemical engineer and loved my work. To God be the glory!

I believe that those early writing spells helped mold me into my blogging life now. But I also believe that it is what God has called me to do. At least for now that I can’t travel to testify and share the Gospel.

I love it that reading and writing always go together, like bread and butter. And I’m ever grateful that God gave me the gift of both.

Comments

1. Mari H. says:

Hello Rina, thank you for your w…writing! I am sorry for you that you do not have the health that you want. Your writing has been a blessing to me.

2. Sarah says:

This is a gorgeous post – chock full of inspiration. In fact your whole blog seems like such a calm and uplifting place.

I’d love you to link this post (and indeed any other inspiring posts) to my Inspire linkup – it happens each and every Monday.

Sarah @ A Cat-Like Curiosity

Hi Sarah! Your words refreshed my spirit this morning! I’m praising God! Thank you for inviting me to your Inspire link up. Blessings!

3. Cherry says:

Appreciated reading your words – and I love your thoughts on R&W! Yes, to be able to read and write is a wonderful gift. (Visiting from the Sharing His Beauty linkup.)

4. Deanne says:

As always Rina, you continue to inspire and bring me back to what really matters! God is using you, His faithful servant, to bring blessings to others!! God Bless you <3

Your words have blessed me in return, Deanne. I am encouraged all the more that my suffering is not at all meaningless and without purpose. Blessings to you!

5. Ceil says:

Hi Rina! I am coming here from Teaching What is Good.

I had to smile reading your post, the story of how people come to love writing is always fascinating to me. I love that still, small voice calling to you about the birds in the trees, and you were listening, and not distracted. Keep doing the bread and butter thing, you have been called to it!

Peace in Christ,
    Ceil

Thank your for your words of encouragement, Ceil. I think all of us are born writers and some discover it early on :). Blessings to you!

Thank you for sharing today at “Tell me a Story.” You were wise to rid yourself of books that were false teachings. Your house needed this cleansing. Some have even discarded certain pictures or ornaments that were of healthen nature. I am glad you found blogging because this is an outlet to send forth words so that others may be blessed.

Yes, I know what you mean: here in our country, most houses set up their own altars in their homes and put graven images to pray upon. We never did that in our home with my own family even before we received salvation from the Lord Jesus. Now, we embrace and live out the Truth.

7. Mindy says:

I am visiting from #TellHisStory today – bless you and your writing!

8. You have truly been called to write. I haven’t gone through the rest of your site yet but will be doing so. I love how God works in our lives. I commend you for following the tug of the Holy Spirit when you was a newborn in Christ. False teachings is just a tool Satan uses to blind US from the truth. I would recommend authors Beth Moore and Kay Arthur, as they teach the truth and have you dig into the Bible for truths. There are many women that God uses and are good teachers but these two are my favorite. May God continue to bless my sister.
    In His Love, Crisi

Thank you for your heartwarming message, Crisi. I pray you’ll be blessed with each visit. I will check out the authors. I’ve listened to Beth Moore but haven’t tried her books yet. Blessings be upon you, too.