A Quiet Place

The Spirit whispers, telling me to withdraw from the “crowd” and the busyness of daily “Internet” life. For we can easily get so engrossed with this sharing thing, thinking that the more we “socialize”, the more we can spread the Word of God and His testimonies. But we can also overdo it. No, not the sharing part, but the socializing part. So much so that we can neglect the weightier matters: reading and meditating on the Word, listening to God in the silence, or just giving our spirits space to breathe freely.

(image source)

After the busyness of last week (not so much with crowd gathering in our place because that doesn’t happen, but the “marathon-like” associating through FB), my soul is longing to escape to a deserted place where there are only trees, tall grass swaying with the gentle breeze, and the warbling of the birds as they call to each other. How refreshing would that be! But though I cannot go farther than our own garden (the discomforts from my illness hinder me to travel), that doesn’t stop me to seek solitude and be with my God in the quietness of my soul and surroundings.

And when He had sent the multitudes away, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray. Now when evening came, He was alone there. (Matt. 14:23)

The Spirit of Christ which is also in and with His very own (Rom. 8:9) is the same Spirit who draws us away from our own “multitudes” to resort to our own “deserted mountain” by ourselves to pray, ponder on God’s Word, and listen to His whisperings. Maybe we can escape to a quiet corner in the garden, beside a lake or a river, the beach, or in a deserted park where there is much grass and plenty of trees. The essence of the Spirit’s calling is to withdraw from the world and draw near to God. We can only find quiet and rest and more of God when we withdraw from the “multitudes”.

Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, “Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.” (Mark 6:31, NIV)

The Lord Jesus has set for us an example. But sometimes, although our souls hear Him bidding us, we choose to do more of our plans and to-do lists or more mingling with the multitudes, and neglect to fill ourselves with God. It will not come as a surprise then when we feel like God is far. It’s because we’ve neglected to draw near to Him. The more we soak our hearts and minds with the things of this world (a cornucopia of plans and wants, insidious worries, or even selfish motives in the things we do or serve God that we don’t realize until we are in that quiet place), the more we draw farther away from His presence.

But it is in the silence, when our bodies, hearts, and minds are still and yielded to God like empty vessels waiting to be filled, that His voice seems louder and we hear Him clearer.

Draw near to God and He will draw near to you… (James 4:8)

Comments

1. Barbie says:

Oh Rina, I hear the beating of your heart to slow down and spend time with Him. I so understand the pull of social media. It’s hard to find balance sometimes. Praying you have a blessed week.

Thank you, Barbie. By God’s abundant grace, I’m presently offering whole-morning fast and prayer for the whole week, withdrawing from so much social media, and spending quiet time with the Lord. Blessings to you, too!

2. Lisa notes says:

This is just what I needed to read this morning. I woke up in the middle of the night with a desire to edit a future blog post (which actually needed it–it would not have been God-glorifying) but I also needed to spend quiet time with God, just me and him, to let him work on my heart and remind me of his love even in my failures.

Nothing substitutes for concentrated time in his presence. I pray we both get plenty of that with him this week.

“Nothing substitutes for concentrated time in his presence.” – nothing truer, Lisa. I have learned that when we earnestly ask the Lord to draw us nearer to Him (for sometimes we don’t feel like doing it, right?), He will invite us to His presence: “Come away with Me…”. And it is a most blessed thing.

3. Ann says:

Hello, Rina! It’s been awhile since I have stopped over here. Hope you are doing well. God seems to be speaking the same message, (and even verses) to me as well! My recent blog post was on this very subject. Hope you were able to find some time away, in His presence and found rest there!! I’m still working on finding some time and space…as my heart yearns for this more lately.
    Have a wonderful week!
    Ann @ Christ in the Clouds

I’ve been imagining escaping with the Lord somewhere far and quiet like in the woods. I’ve been seeing in my mind my bare feet stepping on grass and the earth… Though I can’t do that literally, I’ve been finding quiet time with Him, listening to praise music, reading, and just resting in His comforting presence. I pray you have a blessed week, too, Ann, in His sweet presence.

4. asheritah says:

Rina, what truth you write here! Thank you for the reminder to step away from the business and seek a quiet place to just be with the Lord!

5. Angela says:

Your thoughts echo in my soul. I am never really rested until I have that time of quiet. Sometimes I only need 10 minutes, sometimes I need half a day but until I have sought after that time where I’m resting in my Lord I just don’t have peace in my heart. Thank you for the reminder again today.

I hope you find your quiet rest in the Lord everyday, Angela. You’re right, we need to intentionally seek it :).

6. I also got “caught up” in social media. I had to literally hide my laptop and delete facebook from my phone because I knew my spiritual life was suffering. Your spirit will let you know when you have neglected your time with God. Mine was telling me loud and clear. I am so grateful that we have a forgiving God and now I am back getting spiritually nourished and growing in my relationship with Christ. Your blog is beautiful and your writings are inspirational and a blessing to read. God bless.

It’s true that the Spirit that dwells in us speaks to our hearts and lets us know when we have drawn far away from the presence of God. Thank you for your visit. I hope you’ll come by often :). Blessings to you!