What’s in a Decade?

From the place of suffering, a decade seems brief, its years fleeting, like the leaves of a tree plucked down by the passing wind and fall one by one in haste. And you don’t even care as they (the years) flew by swiftly. Their quality you don’t even want to consider, how evidently lean and lacking they looked. You just want them to pass, to be over with. To the one who suffers, you don’t want time to linger. You don’t want time to take its time.

That would be how you see a decade if you were left to suffer all alone. But if God was in it from day one, the appearance and essence of a decade change in every way.

You will have known how to really believe and trust – not by sight, not by might, but by the Spirit of God.

You will have seen and tasted His miracles.

You will have received the wisdom to know that His trials come to mold and transform you into His likeness.

That hardship and suffering teach the most valuable lessons.

You will have realized that godly virtues like humility, honesty, holiness, love, to name a few, are only gained through living and walking in the Spirit. These are its fruits while He abides in us.

You will have known and experienced how it is like to bask in His glorious presence.

How to be loved and comforted by Love itself.

If you look back with a grateful heart, you will see that the decade was not lean and lacking at all but FULL OF GRACE! Amazing, ineffable grace!

On October 15th, I’m celebrating ten years of walking with the Lord. If I had not fallen gravely ill ten years ago, would I have sought the Lord and His offer of salvation? Maybe not. Maybe I would have carried on with life with all its success and the headiness it brought. And with all its sinfulness. And maybe it wouldn’t have taken long before salvation was already too late for me. What if death came before salvation? I know I wouldn’t have had the chance to have a glimpse of heaven. I wouldn’t have had the chance to hope for eternity.

Without my salvation, what could all the success in the world have done for me? Nothing! For nothing in the whole world, with all its affluence, could have bought my salvation. It was a gift from God. It took the life of my Savior Jesus Christ, His atoning blood that was shed in Calvary.

For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? (Mat. 16:26)

The workings of God are at most mysterious. Who can fathom His mind and know His ways? But to me, they are altogether wonderful!

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. (Is. 55:8)

“For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.” (Jer. 29:11 NLT)

If I would give a title to the past decade, it would be Knowing the Love of Jesus. For in the lowest valley, in the darkest night, in the fiercest storm – I have known His love. And if you have known His love, you would have known the very best thing in life. The greatest gift you could ever have.

(Photo taken from Google images and edited at picmonkey.com).

Comments

1. Barbie says:

Rina, I love your heart, how you encourage others so faithfully through your own suffering. I am praying for you today, my friend. Thank you for your willingness to share your life so openly and honestly with others. And happy anniversary. A life with Jesus, even through suffering, is worthy more than anything.

You have always a “package of encouragement” for me, too, Barbie :). Thank you for your love and prayers. It is through friends like you that I feel the love of Jesus for me and I’m greatly comforted. “A life with Jesus, even through suffering, is worthy more than anything” ~ TRUTH!

2. When talk about rushing through tough times – I used to do that – just focus on getting through. However, in the last 5 years, He has taught me about the living from when a prayer is released until it is answered – and sometimes that is 5 minutes to 15 years – and there is much grace, much Him in that inbetween – where the really important living happens:) Thank you for sharing your heart. It is a tough lesson to learn – and like you, I am so glad I learned it:) I love this line (well, the entire message, but especially this line: If you look back with a grateful heart, you will see that the decade was not lean and lacking at all but FULL OF GRACE! ). Wishing you sweet grace and beautiful blessing this week!

What you have received – grace and wisdom in the in-between – is very much what I also have gained. God has been good to us even in those waiting periods. This reminds me of what I wrote just recently, “The Long In-between” and if I may quote a part of it:

“People often think that the waiting period, the in-between, is a time of idleness, of barrenness, of unproductivity and unprofitability. But this thinking is not always true, and in fact, quite the opposite. It is during the waiting period that the “student” learns a lot in the schoolroom of faith and what is seemingly a barren soil is actually one that is conducive to producing a bountiful harvest of spiritual fruits.”

Thank you for your beautiful words that enriched me today. Blessings to you, too!

Grace and Mercy are found at the feet of Jesus. A decade is a long time. I know friends and family who have suffered for 4 and 5 decades, but continue to trust the Master. May God grant you and your care givers wisdom to understand how to bring you relief. Your attitude is one that we admire in knowing that Jesus holds your hand in his. Thank you for sharing with us here at “Tell me a Story.”

4. What a beautiful essay! God promises to never leave or forsake us!

5. Ceil says:

Hi Rina! I am coming over from Essential Fridays.

Happy Anniversary! I love the perspective of a decade. It’s so easy to just have tunnel vision and look at today or yesterday and wonder where God is. Yes, he is here and it all works for the good…but it’s very hard for me to ‘see’ that sometimes.

I love the peaceful piano playing while I write. Nice!
    Ceil

Thank you, Ceil. I believe difficulties come to remind us that God is ever-present in our lives. For in their midst, we are ever looking to the Lord.

6. Thanks so much for sharing these encouraging words. I am so grateful for your inspiring testimony and walk with God. We do experience hard times but if we can testify to the goodness of God we help each other.
    Thanks for linking up at Essential Fridays.
    Blessings
    Mel from Essential Thing Devotions & Connect With God

Hi Mel. Thank you for your visit. I was trying to embed your button on my “Link-ups” page but it didn’t come out. There was only a blank box with a small blue question mark. FYI. Blessings!