Rest

A day in my life:

write blog post – check

rest – check

make banana nut muffins – check

rest – check

eat – check

rest – check

wash hair – check

rest – check

And on it goes…

My day is full of rests like music! Sometimes when I really need to finish tasks, I consider these much-needed rests annoying interruptions and I get frustrated. But often, I welcome the respite. My ailing and weak body needs rest interspersed within my daily chores, otherwise, I would be bed-bound longer and wouldn’t be able to finish anything at all. This is an unusual rhythm of daily activities, but I believe all of us need to follow a certain rhythm as we go about our work. When we deny our bodies the rest they need, the harmony within might become discordant and we would feel it in the way of fatigue and stress.

Like me, I know that there are others out there who try to resist rest. We want to be productive, to do more, and accomplish more. But it’s not only our bodies that need rest, we also need to fill our souls with God things. And that, I think, is the hardest part: to rest in the Lord especially in the midst of the hustle and bustle of everyday or in difficult times. In those times, it’s hard to stop, drop everything, and rest. But we need to rest in the truth that even if our bodies and minds are at a standstill, the Lord continues to work on our behalf.

The problem lies in our need for control. We want to control our situations that’s why we find it hard to turn over everything to the Lord while we recoup our strength and motivation. But rest is good. Put back the harmony into your lives by resting in the Lord.

To mothers who are harried and frazzled by the tons of chores and challenges that make up their days – find time to rest. When your infant or toddler naps, nap, too! Don’t be afraid to rest your head on that fluffy pillow for a while, close your eyes, and succumb to a sweet nap. Even in our rests, for the sick bodies and the exhausted ones – the Lord shall surround us with songs of deliverance. There is nothing to worry!

To those who are still hanging in uncertainty and fear and living powerless against the works of the devil just because they don’t have a personal relationship with the Savior Jesus Christ – come to Him. He’s bidding you. You will find your rest in Him: He will own your heart-wrenching problems and fight your battles.

“Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” (Mat. 11:28-30)

Learn to rest in Jesus. He will not fail you as you put your trust in Him.

My rests are varied. But often, they include praise music, silent prayers, singing in my heart, or just meditating on the Lord and His goodness. How about you?

Comments

1. This is beautiful. Sometimes we take rest for granted but it is so necessary not just physically but also emotionally and spiritually. I find that when I intentionally take rests during my day– whether it is 2 minutes or an hour– I feel recharged spiritually and ready to face the day. Thank you for this post.

You’re so right, Maria. To be interminably connected to the Lord through rests, whether short or long, will see us through the day.

2. Grace says:

What a sweet reminder Rina! I don’t place much priority on rest which probably explains frequent feeling of being overwhelmed and stressed. Jesus Himself bids us to come rest, why don’t we take that seriously?

3. Oh Rina, I surely know about your task, rest, task, rest necessity. I have Primary Sjogren’s syndrome and the simple act of showering/washing my hair leaves me exhausted. I sometimes need to take a break in the shower between shampoo and conditioner – it is just silly, but necessary as I cannot hold my arms up one second longer. God has given me this “thorn in the flesh” to carry, yet has blessed me richly with so many other things as a result of this illness. In this stillness and rest, I’d have never found such deep faith. Blessings to you. Coming by from Playdates today.

I can so relate to everything you say, Kim. My husband washes my hair and bathes me, and even he does, I still get exhausted in the process. It’s true also that the Lord has blessed me tremendously through my illness and suffering – blessings that I couldn’t have had if not through this trial. Yes, deeper faith, peace, and joy amidst it all – they are priceless gifts that last eternally! Blessings to you, too!

4. Joanie Qualls says:

Thank you, sister. Sooo blessed truth. Similar to what I shared at an Aglow meeting two Saturdays ago.
    Soooo needed more and more as we see the day approaching. Time to Be IN HIS PRESENCE!!!

5. beautiful –
    [pinned HERE

6. Cherry says:

Beautiful – I loved reading this. I’ve been seeking to not be so hurried, and to take time to rest, also to feed my soul. Taking care of ourselves frees us to have the energy to give love to others. Thanks for your example of rest by sharing your day with us … blessings!

7. Lisa says:

I’ve spent many years in the routine you describe, and am thankful I’m no longer there – much. Years of “solitary confinement” have taught me that it’s more important to “be” than to “do” and my life is much quieter and relaxed because of it. I too have learned, as you said, “even if our bodies and minds are at a standstill, the Lord continues to work on our behalf.”

True, Lisa. There is a purpose to all the suffering and difficulties we go through. If we only humbly yield ourselves to God’s work in our lives. It will unfold beautifully!

Thank you for your lovely thoughts on Rest shared here at “Tell Me a Story.” Rest is important and you mentioned for young mothers to go ahead and take a nap when your children do. The prompt is to work while the children rest, but I like your idea better. Your pattern for your day also is creative and inspired in order to accomplish your tasks. Awesome!!

Oh, thanks so much for seeing my days as beautiful, dear Hazel! What you say is true! I’m greatly encouraged! Blessings to you!