In the Potter’s Hands

Meditating on Psalm 138.

I will praise You with my whole heart;
Before the gods I will sing praises to You.
2 I will worship toward Your holy temple,
And praise Your name
For Your lovingkindness and Your truth;
For You have magnified Your word above all Your name.
3 In the day when I cried out, You answered me,
And made me bold with strength in my soul. (vv. 1-3)

Just when I felt I was writing about the things of God mechanically, the Holy Spirit spoke in my heart: Don’t just write words, write for other people’s edification, your own growth, and all for my glory. Don’t just write with your heart of your everyday life, write about My truth with renewed zeal. This is how you can appreciate the gift I gave to you. How you use and whet it really matter to Me.

I am amazed once again at how the Lord speaks to us when we least expect it. When we feel like there’s something paining us or weighing down on us but we just can’t put our finger on it. He then speaks. He shines His light upon us and guides us. Sometimes, we cannot know it as it comes. But later on, it settles in our souls perfectly. That’s when we know it was His voice speaking to us.

Though I walk in the midst of trouble, You will revive me…

The Lord will perfect that which concerns me;
Your mercy, O Lord, endures forever;
Do not forsake the works of Your hands. (vv. 7, 8)

We should not be troubled then when we feel like we don’t know how to proceed, or when we are not sure if we are even doing things right. He will speak; He will guide. How awesome is His faithfulness!

One night last week as I waited for sleep to come, the Holy Spirit spoke in my heart. It was regarding my daughter Hannah. The Lord reminded me to talk to her about her spiritual growth or lack of it. He let me know that she has not been communing with Him as she ought. As I fully succumbed to sleep, I purposed to talk to her the next morning.

After my morning devotion, I called for her. I talked to her heart-to-heart as usual. I told her about the Lord’s reminder. I also told her the truth that God longs for the love of His children just as much as we long and hunger for Him. We hunger for His love, healing, and His answers to our earnest prayers, but He also longs for us to spend time in His presence. I told Hannah about the Lord’s words on the cross. I thirst. He doesn’t thirst for water. He thirsts for our faithful love.

With intensity in my words and tears welling in my eyes, I reminded her that the Lord knows us by name and He calls us by them. I then proceeded to tell the story of Mary Magdalene, how that the Lord called her name when she was fussing about the body of her Lord being taken away. He simply said, “Mary.” When He wants to call our attention or stop us from doing the things we ought not, He calls out —“Hannah.”

Hannah was intently listening the whole time. We felt the love and presence of the Lord. “The Lord will perfect that which concerns [us].” He will not forsake the work of His hands. Are you a mother needing counselling on how to handle problems in the home? A harried wife and mother perhaps who feels she falls short of the Lord’s expectations of her? Rest in the Lord, dear one. We are surely handled by the deft hands of the Potter. He is the One who expertly moves and molds us as we yield ourselves to Him.

I might be linking up with these lovely blogs and Coffee for Your Heart.

Comments

1. elizabeth jose says:

THANKS SISTER THIS REALLY MINISTERED TO ME – IN THE THINGS I AM GOING THRU RIGHT NOW.
    ITS A WORD FROM THE MASTER POTTER HIMSELF, THRU YOU.

GOD BLESS U SISTER

Praise be to God! He’s faithful to meet us in our place and time of need. Blessings!

• elizabeth jose says:

dear Sister Rina,

Can you pray specifically for me please? i am going thru a very difficult phase in my life.
        Am 51 now, single and living with family. No problems with family at home by His Grace
        things are peaceful,
        But my boss is very oppressive. He is 76 years old. I have been working with him for over 10 years
        now. I want to leave the Company because it is becoming very difficult to adjust to his ways as I
        myself am getting older and weary of his constant fault finding. I am not finding it easy to get a new job at my age as most employers are looking for younger workers. I am an Executive Secretary with over 20 years experience but with this boss all his work is mostly personal work,. I dont have any problems doing the work allotted to me but his ways are demeaning and humiliating many a time. To call me to his room, he presses a switch in his room which is connected to a buzzer in my cabin which disturbs me when i am typing and focussing on my work. He stubbornly refuses to change his ways and generally rules over hsi workers in a very authoritarian manner. He is a very well respected Director of the Company and throws his weight around a lot. The Company i work for is a very good IT company but their corporate office is in Pune city not in Mumbai where i live. and there are no opportunities for me to grow further in the mumbai office. Every interview i go to they want to know why I want to leave a Company where i have worked for 16 years. I feel very oppressed when i am working in the office. This gentleman has made life difficult for former Managers whom he has deprived of their just wages in the past.

Pls pls pray that God will relieve me from working for this oppressor and set me free.

God bless sister..

Ok, my dear friend. I will pray for you and the solution for your problem. Where are you from originally?

• elizabeth jose says:

dear Sister,

I am indian, and i live in Mumbai city in India. I am originally from the south indian state of kerala,
        my family lived in kuwait for several years and we returned to India in year 1990 after the Gulf war
        and have lived here in Mumbai since then.

Pray for the salvation of my eldest sibling Henry Jose. He has suffered tremendously since we returned from Kuwait. A very good man, who loved his family, qualified as a Commercial Pilot in 1987 in the US but hasnt flown a single hour since then……..financial problems since we returned to India, no opportunities for him here at that time ….its a long painful story. but God has blessed him financially through other sources and he is okay now at 54 yrs..

when you pray for Henry, God will show you what to pray for.

God bless you sister for loving us.

Hi Elizabeth. I’ve been praying for you. I hope your situation has improved. I asked where you came from originally because your name doesn’t sound like you’re a native of India. In fact, there are many here in our country with that name and surname. I have first-degree cousins whose surname is Jose :). Blessings to you!

• elizabeth jose says:

Blessings sister Rina,
        thank you for always writing me back and above all, for your faithful prayers on my behalf.
        Re: my job, i am still at the current one, attended two interviews for other jobs in the last
        2 weeks. let’s see how the Lord leads.

abt my surname Jose – well, in our part of South India, esp. Kerala State, this is one of the most
        common surnames, and for many males, a first name too. Kerala & Tamil Nadu in South India have a larger percentage of Christian households, than the rest of India. Apart from the south, then we have the North East states of Mizoram, Meghalaya, predominantly Christian populations. On the whole we represent only 2.3 per cent of India’s 1.3 billion peoples!

good to connect with you sister.

• elizabeth jose says:

Sister Rina,
        prayers needed for my sister Rosemary & husband Hemant, struggling for the last 7 years with one big issue. being my brother-in-law’s close relationship (spiritual he calls it defensively to this day!) with a woman half his age (insists she is his “spiritual daughter” and he is only being a father figure to her). The lady is almost 30 now, he is 59 yrs old. in the last 5 years my sister has lived in Australia, where she was teaching and is now in India since last Sept. She left India in Feb. 2008, when this relationship started. she couldn’t handle the stress any longer.
        Till now she had given her husband the benefit of the doubt. But last evening she looked into his email Inbox and found very revealing emails sent by the lady to him in year 2011. emails after that period till now seems to have been deleted. it seems from the e-mails that the relationship has been adulterous for a very long time, both emotionally & physically.
        Right now my sister and husband are in kerala, our hometown. but my brother in law has been living for the last couple of years in a friends flat in Mumbai city, alongwith this lady. She has signed a rental lease with the landlord who is my brother in law’s close buddy. She works as a beautiician, and my brother in law is a full time Christian preacher!!
        He is in fact currently preaching in Kerala, where my sister has accompanied him.
        she is very very angry after reading those emails but doesn’t want to create ugly scenes there because her husband is a well respected preacher in that town in Kerala.

pray for deliverance and healing for this marriage God bless you. its been a tough 7 years for them, constantly fighting over this girl calling up my brother in law, texting him, even when he was in Australia on holidays the last couple of years, this girl was always calling him up at nights, they were skyping early mornings….for my sister its been a real uphill struggle as a Christian wife.. last year my brother in law was diagnosed with cancer and had to have surgery and because my sister couldn’t immediately travel back to Mumbai to be with him, it was this girl who looked after him in hospital and afterwards. So now the bond has become even more closer..

still Praise God for He is bigger than all our trials. Amen

Continuing to include you and yours in my prayers, Elizabeth!

• elizabeth jose says:

many thanks sister. Praise the Lord

2. Trish says:

Thanks so much for sharing this. God bless you!!!