Jesus and the Brokenhearted

When I finally got to talk to her, she stood in front of me bravely and without a hint of pain lining her face. Bravely I say because what would a 46-year old mother say to a 13-year old teen who’s not even her daughter? But she’s Hannah’s dear friend and I really care for her. When Hannah told me about her friend’s family breaking up, my heart went out to her and her Mom. I was touched deeply when Hannah said that her friend told her it’s okay to tell me.

I remember the first time I met her. She was barely 8 years old, the same age as Hannah. Hannah presented her to me, her newfound friend, as I sat at our doorstep. I squeezed her chubby arms then, letting her know I wanted her and Hannah to be real friends. Beginning that day, the two spent sunny summer days biking around the neighborhood. One morning, as I was settling in my usual spot at our doorstep fronting the garage, I saw a piece of paper wedged in our gate. Hannah took it and read. It was a note from her friend. It simply said, You’re my best friend forever. This, even before the word BFF became so overused and commonplace. But there was nothing commonplace in their friendship. One, if I’m honest to admit, that I actually envy. (Ever since my closest friend emigrated to Canada, I had not found someone whom I can call “BFF”).

So, Hannah’s friend stood in front of me, Hannah right beside her, much like that very first day I met her. I asked how she was, and her Mom, too. Many times, I had to blink back tears as we talked. But she carried herself remarkably well, not once breaking down. In the end, I told her I’d pray for her and her Mom.

Marriages implode, families are torn apart, hearts shatter and bleed. We can only do as much – love, care, pray. As Christ-followers, we share in their pain and burden, but it’s only really the Lord Jesus Christ who can heal, redeem, and restore what was broken. I can’t even begin to imagine the raw pain, the anguish, brought about by a crumbled home and being pinned down underneath the hopeless, ugly heap.

Our family had once walked down that road, although it wasn’t as final and hopeless. Because of our testimony, because of what the Lord has done in our lives, I can believe that there is hope for every smashed-up heart. If not healing and restoration, it can be healing and a new life. A new beginning. These are all possible in Christ.

A thief is only there to steal and kill and destroy. I came so they can have real and eternal life, more and better life than they ever dreamed of. (John 10:10 MSG)

This is my hope and prayer for Hannah’s friend and her family, and for all the others out there whose peace and joy have been stolen and lives have been destroyed. All our hope is in Jesus who gave His life so we can find ours in Him.

The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit:
a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise. (Ps. 51:17)

(Photo courtesy of my cousin Bill Raras).

I might be linking up with these lovely blogs and Coffee for Your Heart.

Comments

1. elizabeth jose says:

great. just what my sister needs to read at this time of going thru brokenness
    in her marriage

thanks sister rina. blessings & peace in Christ always

Elizabeth, I pray God will touch your sister’s heart and heal it, bring peace and clarity into her mind, and help her solve all her problems.

2. Joanie Qualls says:

Rina,,I am believing with you for miracles for families as you said in this meaningful,post. I will be praying for her BFF miracle family united and ask you to pray the same for a loved one .i have seen it happen in answer to many prayers for others and for us.
    In Jesus Christ’s wonderful love, forgiveness and holiness for now and for eternity.

3. Barbie says:

So heartbreaking. Praying for restoration for this couple.

4. kd sullivan says:

You’ve reminded me of my own best friend forever growing up. And some of the pain my family is enduring now…his hope never fails us.

5. How I cling to this: “I can believe that there is hope for every smashed-up heart. If not healing and restoration, it can be healing and a new life. A new beginning. These are all possible in Christ.” If not restoration, than a new beginning… this nearly brings me to tears tonight. Such beautiful, powerful hope we have. Thank you. Joining you from Unforced Rhythms.

Oh, Amber, isn’t our Savior wonderful and faithful like that – speaking to us through written words from across the globe? Jesus loves all of us with all He is He will bless us as long as we abide in Him.

Broken marriages and broken hearts only God can mend. You have been a blessing to Hannah and to her BBF. Your daughter will remember your kindness to her friend and that you promised to pray for her. Thank you for sharing your lovely post with us here at “Tell Me a Story.” http://letmetelluastory.blogspot.com/

7. Trudy says:

So sad with you and praying for Jesus’ healing and restoration for “those whose peace and joy have been stolen and lives have been destroyed.” Love the photo and message!

8. Beth says:

“Because of our testimony, because of what the Lord has done in our lives, I can believe that there is hope for every smashed-up heart.” … such power and beauty when we are willing to share our stories. Thanks for posting yours and giving us all hope in our own brokenness.

9. Sarah says:

There is so much pain in the world and Hannah’s friend is blessed to have you. Thank you for these words today!

“Too much pain in the world” – this could not be more true, Sarah! But we have Jesus and the household of God – thank God!

10. Pat Baer says:

It’s always hard to understand how mature adults can be so oblivious and self focused during the divorce process and miss how traumatic it is for children. It’s a heartache that remains a lifetime.
    This little girl is very fortunate to have the stability of friendship and a safe adult to confide in. May God give you wisdom and courage to advocate for her. And may he keep her shattered heart in the safety of his care.
    Thank you for sharing here.